It takes a little time to prepare, but the caramel sauce topping and baked in sweetness is well worth the effort and planning! Our fresh-ground full flavor cinnamon makes a difference with this unforgettable dish!
1 cup brown sugar
1 ½ tsp Stuart's Spices House Ground Cinnamon
½ cup butter or margarine
3 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
12 - 1 inch thick slices French bread
2 cups half & half
- In small saucepan over medium heat, bring brown sugar, butter & corn syrup to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour into greased 13x9 baking dish.
- Lightly brown French bread in oven, then place on top of the caramel mixture in the baking dish. Fill gaps with any remaining bread.
- Combine sugar and 1 tsp cinnamon & sprinkle over bread.
- In large bowl mix eggs, half & half, vanilla & remaining cinnamon.
Pour over bread, slowly, to keep the bread from floating.
- Cover & chill for 8 hrs or overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 min. before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 300 for 40-50 min until custard has set. Cool ~5 min., cut and serve bottom side facing up.
Feeds 6-8 as a main dish or 12-16 as a side.