Amy from Stuart's won a Blue Ribbon 1st Place Award at the New York State Fair for her Zucchini Relish. She credits Stuart's Spices star anise as the key flavor that made this recipe unique.
***This recipe is meant for home canning. If not canning, store in the refrigerator and use within two weeks.***
10 cups peeled and finely diced zucchini
4 cups finely diced onion
2 tablespoons salt
1 cup water
2½ cups vinegar
1 tsp. Stuart's Spices Ground Mustard
2 tsp. Stuart's Spices Mustard Seed
4 cups sugar
1 tsp. Stuart's Spices Turmeric
2 tsp. Stuart's Spices Celery Seeds
5 Stuart's Spices Whole Star Anise
- Combine the zucchini, onion, water and salt. Stir to blend.
- Place mixture in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain the mixture and rinse with cold water. Drain thoroughly.
- Place in a large pot and stir in the vinegar, mustard, mustard seed, sugar, turmeric and celery seeds.
- Place the whole star anise in a cheesecloth bag. Add this to the pot.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard the star anise bag.
- Ladle into half pint jars, leaving ¼ inch head space.
- If canning, process in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Yields eight half-pint jars