1 cup leeks, thinly sliced, then chopped in half (about 1 large leek)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
3 cups chicken stock
2 ½ cups baking potato, diced (about 1 large or 2 medium potatoes)
¼ tsp. Stuart’s Spices Thyme, cut leaf
¼ tsp. Stuart’s Spices Allspice, ground
1 Stuart’s Spices Bay Leaf
3 cans minced clams
2 cups whole milk or half and half, or a combination of the 2
Optional: a pinch of ground clove; thicken more as desired
- Saute leeks in butter until soft, about 5 minutes. Add flour to create a roux, and stir about 3 more minutes.
- Slowly add chicken stock, stirring to blend. Add potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, allspice. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Add 3 cans of clams, but only liquid from 2 of the cans. Bring back to boil and gently simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add cream or milk and heat through.
- Adjust seasonings, adding salt or pepper as desired