This recipe will take you back to the days of shake and bake dinners. The sweet apple jelly balances the heat from the red pepper and curry powder while the rich chicken pulls the flavors together.
Serving notes: Try serving the chicken over some turmeric onion rice. For a great picnic finger food, make this recipe with chicken legs. Just remember to bring the apple jelly dressing as a side dipping sauce and not pre-drizzled on the legs for a cleaner meal.
¼ cup Stuart’s Spices Madras Curry
¼ tsp. Stuart’s Spices Utica Cut Red Pepper
¼ tsp. Stuart’s Spices Preferred Grind Black Pepper
or medium grind black pepper
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. of chicken - (great with chicken legs or thighs)
¼ cup apple jelly
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Pour curry powder, Utica cut red pepper and black pepper into a 1 gallon resealable plastic bag. Add a few pieces of chicken to the bag, seal and shake until the chicken is completely covered with the spices. Repeat until all chicken pieces have been shaken and covered with spices.
• In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium high heat. Place chicken pieces, a few at a time, into skillet and sear until the chicken has a nice golden brown coloring (about one minute) then flip and sear the other side. Remove chicken and place in oven safe pan. Repeat until all pieces of chicken are seared. When all chicken pieces have been pan seared, remove the skillet with the drippings from the heat. Do not wash.
• Put the chicken in the oven to finish cooking for about 20-25 minutes. When chicken is done cooking (internal temperature of 165°) remove from the oven and set aside to rest.
• Reheat the skillet with the drippings over low heat. If the plastic bag has leftover curry, add up to 2 Tbsps. curry powder from the bag to the skillet. Add the apple jelly to the pan, slowly stirring, and gathering up the chicken drippings. Heat until the apple jelly turns into a soft liquid (about two minutes).
• Place the chicken onto a plate and pour the apple jelly mixture over the chicken. Serve and enjoy!
Prep + Cook Time about 45 minutes