Our original Volcanic Seasoning contains salt, but due to popular request, we now offer a salt free Volcanic! It is used the same way that regular Volcanic is used. Be aware, though, that by taking out the salt, less of the seasoning is needed, so be sure to reduce the amount you use in each of the applications.
As you can guess from the name, our Volcanic Seasoning is very hot, but with great flavor. We start with a million SHU (Scoville Heat Units), then mellow it out with habanero, jalapeño, chipotle, and other peppers, along with a bit of hickory smoke, sugar, and a touch of salt. You’ll find that here at Stuart’s, we tend not to go for just heat in a blend. We always want you to enjoy the great flavors! If it’s true heat you’re looking for, we are happy to sell you Habanero, Scotch Bonnet, Ghost, or Scorpion peppers.
Thanks to our son & daughter-in-law, our original Volcanic Seasoning made it to the top of the Cerro Toco (Volcano) in the Atacama Desert, Chile. (18,385 feet/5804 meters!) Let us know if you would like to take the salt free version to a volcano!
This seasoning is as versatile as your imagination and below are a few ideas. The measurements listed below are based on our regular Volcanic blend, which contains salt. The salt-free blend is much hotter. We suggest starting with half the amounts listed below and then adding more as desired:
- Mix 1 Tbsp seasoning with ½ to 1 cup of maple syrup or honey. Then use to coat your wings, chicken, ribs, tofu.
- Mix Volcanic Seasoning directly into your bowl of chili, stew or jambalaya if you like it hotter than others. Or, you can add it in while you are cooking.
- Mix Volcanic Seasoning in with your favorite rub (like Stuart’s House Hog, Memphis Dry, Potlatch, Butcher’s or Road Kill) to kick up the heat.
- Mix into ketchup for Volcanic Ketchup for your burgers or fries.
- Do you like peanut butter banana sandwiches? Add a thin layer of honey pre-mixed with the Volcanic Seasoning - adds sweet and heat!
- Mix 2-3 tsp Volcanic Seasoning into your chocolate chip cookie dough or brownie mix, then bake as usual. Or add a dash to your hot cocoa!
- Making chocolate candy, hard candy or taffy? Add Volcanic Seasoning.
Our own recipe, blended with dark chili powder, dextrose, fire hot cayenne, capsicum oleoresin, habanero, jalapeño, red pepper and hickory smoke.